Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Camping at Gov. Dodge

Back to Gov. Dodge State Park, we camped with two families last weekend. I must admit that prior to our camping trips, I am not very enthusiastic about the preparation, packing and the thought of all the set-up and clean-up, not to mention sleeping on the ground. But then we get there and the kids just bloom! They feast on the sun and fresh air and the chance to run around like feral animals. I love being in the midst of natural beauty, sitting around the campfire with friends, drinking Wisconsin brew and eating local foods cooked over the fire and hiking through the forests and meadows and along streams. Then there's the open sky and the stars ... I love camping!

Hiking along the stream and by Stephens Falls.


Swimming at Cox Lake -- there are two lakes at Gov. Dodge.
We also did some boating on Cox Lake.


MJ, Natalie and Mehgan.


Eating breakfast -- eggs, bacon and sausage from the farmers market,
along with Madison-made bagels -- around the campfire.


Wild kids.


You can't tell from this picture, but the gang is on top of a spring house that was once part of a farm in the mid-1800s. The family kept their cold storage items in the spring house. Gov. Dodge Park is 5,000 acres, much of which is old farmsteads returned to natural areas.


No comments: