Monday, February 18, 2008

Gods of Snow, Have Mercy

Okay, we've had fun skating at the park; Grandpa taught the kids to ski; we built snow men, women, children and pets; we flew down various sledding hills; our hot chocolate supply is running low; we enjoyed cozy evenings by the fire watching soft flakes fall ... ENOUGH already! I think we might surpass 100 inches of snow this season, beating the record by 25 inches. Madison has been at the epicenter of just about every storm that passed through. Last night we got another 8 inches.

You know it's getting bad when I run out for some shopping therapy -- in inclement weather -- and buy a daffodil-colored sweater. I don't even wear yellow! Scott flopped into bed last night and muttered, "I'm sick of (bleep) snow shoveling." Anna's snow pants, an expensive brand, are fraying at the ends. And Mary Jane keeps wondering if we still have grass.

Spring will never be so welcome. I am ready to roll out the red carpet for those tiny new buds, the earliest flowers, the chirping of a thousand birds, grass ... ahhhhhh, dreaming .... The good news is that all this snow will convert to a lot of moisture for gardens this year. We'll be blooming from ear to ear. At least we're not birds, who at this point are probably wondering where to find their next meal. (I've tried to keep the feeders full, but the squirrels have plundered.)

Well, what can we do but try to continue to enjoy the pristine beauty of big, white snowflakes and look forward to the arrival of baby Charlotte and a green Easter.

Let's just hope that the Obama voters can dig out tomorrow.

C'mon, already!


Good luck to our mail man.


Even the stately pine trees are bending in mercy.


We sat at this table, on this deck to eat
fresh corn-on-the-cob 5 months ago.

No comments: